Released nearly a decade ago, Magento 1 (M1) brought huge benefits to small and medium enterprises (SMEs) in the eCommerce sector. However, it was announced that in 2020, Magento 1 will cease to be supported, the server will be shut off and no further updates will be released.
For almost 10 years, Magento 1 has proved its worth, but technology waits for no one. Its successor, Magento 2 (M2), was released in 2015 to worldwide acclaim thanks to its upgraded infrastructure and improved UI over its predecessor. In this article, we will compile the top reasons why upgrading to Magento 2 is worth it.
Magento 2 was updated with performance enhancements. Page-loading speeds of M2 are up to 50 percent faster, thanks to the full-page caching (FPC) that generates the page from the cache instead of php server. This process considerably speeds up the site and helps M2 to process 39 percent more orders per hour and 66 percent faster add-to-cart time than M1. Moreover, it can deliver almost instant server response time for the catalog browsing.
Fast performance results in more traffics to the site, more products added to shopping cart and obviously more sales for the store.
B2B Commerce Functionality
Magento has updated multiple features in order to enhance B2B functionality in this upgrade. Such as:
- Account management tools: The feature is added to benefit both web store merchants and their customers. Customers are able to request and manage their company accounts. Meanwhile, web store managers are allowed to categorize and organize customer information.
- Shared buyer accounts and catalog control: Multiple buyers can share an account and store owners can manage customer catalog access. With Magento 2.2, the account roles and buyer permission management is implemented into the platform from the start without requiring for any multiple vendor extensions.
- Quote requests management: Same as the previous feature, quote request management is added to Magento 2.2 by default and there is no need for a third-party extension. B2B customers can request quote from their shopping carts. They can add comments and documents to their quote requests and track the request status when they are issued.
- Advanced shipping options: Merchants can automate the shipping processes for primary selections. They also have the ability to manage the loading and dispatching of the store products from anywhere as well as applying the special product allocation rules per shipping location. These functions help cut down on the overall shipping-related cost.
Enhanced admin experience
Magento 2 provides admin with more convenient and time-saving functions. Some of the major ones are:
- Faster product creation: The updated step-by-step product adding tools helps admin to create a product 4 times faster.
- Data view and filtering: Magento 2 administrative panel has been added with a data grid view that allows admin to easily customize the attributes to be displayed in the grid table in a drop-down selection. This feature tidies up the admin interface and gives merchant a better experience.
- Admin navigation: The admin panel is redesigned and divided into major categories and subcategories that makes the interface cleaner and uncluttered. With a more organized page, admin can boost their productivity and save time.
Improved customer experience
In the upgraded version, Magento put customer experience in mind and made some improvements so as to reduce the abandoned carts, give customers more seamless shopping experience and clearly it will lead to sales growth for the store.
- Checkout experience:
- Magento 2 checkout process has only 2 steps that will simplify and speed up the checkout time. It will take just seconds for customer to proceed to checkout and make the payment.
- No need for required registration so customers can checkout as guest, then register for an account after the order is placed.
- Order details will be displayed in every step to keep a streamlined experience for customers.
- A thumbnail photo of the product is included in the order summary. This helps cut down on the ordering mistakes and order returns.
- Product searching: The search engine in Magento 2 has been switched to ElasticSearch (for Enterprise Edition). This software has easier configuration and customization that is easier and faster. Thanks to this, customer can search for the product they want quickly and accurately.
Richer 3rd-party extensions and modules
Since Magento is an open source platform, it is flexible to adjust to any business model. In addition to the default functionalities, Magento 2 is featured with a plethora of extensions that allow merchants, according to their business needs, to connect Magento website to many management softwares like CRM (such as Salesforce, Zoho), ERP (such as SAP, Odoo, Oracle), you name it.
With the final days of Magento 1 closing by, switching to Magento 2 should be on every merchant’s checklist. Not only is it a significant upgrade from Magento 1 in terms of reliability, it will also be likely to receive upgrades and support for a long time.
If you are ready to migrate your current system and database over to Magento 2, contact us via firstname.lastname@example.org.